Jessica K. Burgess
Jessica K. Burgess
Manager, Fiscal and Business Administration and Research Administration
Office: CMC 343
- Financial administrator of E&G, Carryforward, Foundation, Auxiliary and Research accounts, and external and internal grants
- Monitors budgets, prepares budget reports and projections
- Assists Department Chair in preparation of annual budget requests
- Primary Grant Manager/Administrator
- Pre-award (budget preparation, budget justifications, adhering to sponsor's guidelines, mentoring faculty in proposal process, working as liaison between PI/Faculty and Sponsored Research and other university departments to ensure accuracy)
- Monitor all expenditures on research accounts
- Post-award management (close-outs, invoices, subcontracts and subaccount management, projections, etc.)
- Attends workshops and meetings to stay current on all grant policies and procedures.
- Represents department at above-referenced meetings and communicates pertinent information regarding the department.
- Works on special projects when needed.
- Serves as a source of knowledge regarding grant policies and procedures of different sponsors.
Supervision and Department HR
- Processes appoints for RAs, Staff and OPS personnel and assists with faculty appointments
- Reviews pay distributions and certifies payroll
- Monitors and reviews payroll distribution and reconciliation of payroll ledgers.
- Supervises, trains and coaches the performance of three full-time staff and three FWS students assistants.
- Manages HR-related functions for staff, including promotions, terminations, disciplinary actions, assignment of duties, annual performance evaluations and leave administration.
Department Operations and Compliance
- Development and implement business and fiscal processes to ensure compliance and good stewardship over university resources.
- Remain up-to-date with changes in university, state and federal regulations.
- Supervises and monitors department operations; supports initiative to transition to an electronic record keeping system and implement process improvement systems.
Note: Please see her if you need to do any traveling and purchasing if the source of the funds is a start-up, RO or grant account.
M.S., Cellular, Molecular and Microbiology, Eastern Kentucky University, 2013
B.S., Cellular, Molecular and Microbiology, Eastern Kentucky University, 2010